Pages

29.12.16

Resolution Season

'Tis the season of new gym passes and room décor, minimum wage increases and progressive haircuts. Yep, truth is, the new year gives us all the kick in the ass we need to change aspects of ourselves that we think could use a little work. For some, the idea of change implies that something about them is wrong or off. Sure, we could probably all do without a cigarette and most people could learn to be a bit more patient but these less savory attributes of our beings are all part of a life-long (yes, my friends, we will live and die as imperfect as the day we arrived on this earth) journey to becoming as close as we possibly can to our envisioned selves. And without an area in need of improvement, whether it's eating more kale or simply being kinder, we wouldn’t have any opportunity to watch ourselves grow. But, no doubt, this process does take work. Just like anything else we want; it rarely comes without a fair amount of blood, sweat, and tears.

Master of the Signature
It may seem ridiculous but in order to avoid being accused of fraud or thievery, man, I gotta get a hand (ha) on my signature. While its funny to watch my mom roll her eyes when I sign checks over or put my mark on paperwork, let’s be real; its easy stuff. I just have to try a little. Plus, what if I somehow elevate my social standing and need to kiss babies and sign butt cheeks? Then what?

Girl, You Gotta CHILL
I’m high strung. There, I said it. I run on a whole other level. Sometimes, like with deadlines or group projects, this works out to my benefit. However, on a Friday night at 11:30p.m., I wouldn’t mind the amount of mojito left in my glass and the location of my overly-intoxicated friend to be the only things filling up my headspace. This summer, I was diagnosed with severe anemia and while my nearly tri-monthly blood tests do indicate a need for those lovely, heavy-duty iron supplements I have to remember to pop three times a day, this last visit also warranted a reminder from my doctor that stress hormones can also play a big role in one’s overall energy level. Although I had thought setting aside an hour or so a day to exercise was the solution to keeping my mind from flipping its shit, your body in fact needs both active and sedentary relaxation. I’m opting for yoga because, lets keep it 100, I can’t sit still for more than two minutes. Have you seen my constant hair twirling? Maybe that should be added to the list as well…

Film, Shoot, Write. Repeat.
My love for projects developed in high school. Like many, I wasn’t high school’s biggest fan and found the process of going to be fairly mundane. Because of which, I got very into weekend projects. From photoshoots to Youtube videos, my understanding of satisfactory work became less a matter of grades and more so based off of my level of involvement and interest in what I was doing. This is the philosophy I am working on solidifying, especially with the workforce just around the corner. I know that not everything you do in life will necessarily be something you enjoy but, that said, our time here is, in the scheme of things, short and I want to be able to look back and say, “Yes, I did it how I wanted”. When I write or edit, I’m literally engrossed in what I’m doing. Unaware of anything going on around me and able to focus in on the present; that’s when I know I love what I’m doing. Its that simple.

And How do YOU Feel About That?
While I think I’m fairly empathetic, I sometimes have difficulty understanding how someone can’t tell that I’m 50% kidding whenever I open my mouth or how they don’t already know that trash goes out on Thursday nights, not Fridays. My lack of understanding can sometimes lead to unnecessary frustration which, frankly, is a waste of energy on my part. So, I want to make it a point to think before I speak and really take in a situation before assuming I know what’s going on. To each their own. All you can really do is smile and take it in.  

Around Town
Ithaca might be one of the coolest college towns (Don’t believe me? Check with Dr. Google). From local shops, to eateries, to enough artisanal beer to more than fill Cayuga Lake itself, Ithaca’s got the goods and I want a piece. With a bit more time on my hands and an early return from break, I want to make time for spur-of-the-moment junkets and bites to eat. If for no other reason, $3 fries on Wednesdays at Bandwagon and low-key handsome townies selling root vegetables at the Farmers Market should get me out of the house.

Additional New Year's Resolutions: Floss (so I can finally stop lying to my poor denist) and learn when to use its and it's because it's (AHHHH MAYBE IDK HELP, SEND FOR HELP!) about damn time. Oh! And my new hat. Imma wear that a lot so get used to it. Okay, that’s all for today.








No comments:

Post a Comment